Am back in Kuwait after a long, very long flight that made me cranky, tired and homesick. Nice voice, pilot, but pray that I’m not on your flight the next time there’s a goof-up!
Goa was in full swing with all the Christmas parties and weddings. We danced till our feet and knees ached and when you think you could sit down for a while, the MC calls everyone on the floor for a last dance. I think I lost a couple of kilos only with dancing. Then we went to Chennai and that’s where those lost kilos came back to mama! I mean, you wait for a whole year to taste mum’s food and then you just can’t be on a diet when your favorite dishes are displayed right in front of your eyes.
I’ve listed my top 10 dishes - absolute favorites from Chennai and Goa. In case you want to check them out, the eateries are mentioned here
1. Habsi halwa - Sri Krishna sweets, T Nagar, Chennai
2. Brain masala - from my mum’s kitchen (let me know if you want to try it out, she’ll be most delighted to have you there)
3. Masala dosai and Pongal (I just can’t separate these two)- Sangeetha’s, T Nagar
4. Special Madras meals (a thali or sappad) - Palmgrove hotel, Chennai
5. Strawberry icecream (family pack - wait till it’s melting and then attack) - Arun icecream, T Nagar
6. Mutton Xacuti - from a true goan restaurant or at a goan wedding
7. Goan fish fry - rechaod(red) masala one- from an authentic goan restaurant or mai & pai’s kitchen
8. Pai’s cabbage rolls - stuffed with spiced mince, bacon and rice
9. Mutton biryani - now you may have tried elsewhere but I just love Chennai’s Jack and Jill caterers (what say, clem and jenny?)
10. Ginger chicken - again from mum’s kitchen
My mouth’s watering just typing them. Honestly speaking, these would be the foods I would love to eat any day any time. Note: if I happen to be serving a death sentence and they ask me what I would have before execution, the above 10 would have to be there in the list.